Mahshi, stuffed zucchini and bell peppers
Mahshi is stuffed roasted zucchini and bell peppers, in a bed of tomato sauce. The stuffing is spiced minced meat mixed with rice. This is a special occasion food cooked in South Sudan, North Africa and Mediterranean countries.
How to make Mahshi
First, obtain an assortment of bell peppers. The red, orange and yellow ones really add color and taste to the food. Deseed and core the inside. Keep the top, which we will use to cover the stuffing. Obtain some zucchini. Short and stout ones are best. I clipped my zucchini, as shown in the photo above, to make them shorter. I used the coring tool pictured above to core the inside, creating space for the stuffing. One can also use eggplants and large tomatoes for this meal.
Second, make your minced meat stuffing. For this recipe I used 2.5 pounds of ground beef. I chopped a red onion into fine pieces. Added 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Then added salt and spices such as coriander, cumin, and black pepper. All these were mixed with the ground beef. Fry the ground beef, just enough to remove the redness. Drain the juices and set aside to make tomato sauce. We want the minced meat to be slightly dry.
Third: Boil 1/2 cup of white rice in water for 10 minutes. This is just to soften the rice. Add this rice to precooked minced meat and mix well.
Fourth: Make your tomato sauce as directed in the recipe details below. This is a thick tomato sauce to coat the bed of the pan and infuse into our mahshi, keeping it moist and succulent.
Fifth: Stuff the cored vegetables with the minced meat and rice stuffing. Pour the tomato sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Place in an oven and bake covered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1.5 hours to 2 hours, until the peppers are soft and roasted. During the last 10 minutes of baking, remove the cover and roast. Serve.
- 2.5 lbs ground beef
- Assorted bell peppers, deseeded and cored
- Zucchini, cored
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- Garlic, minced, 2 tablespoons
- Spice mix: ½ tablespoon coriander, ½ tablespoon cumin, ½ tablespoon black pepper. Mix well. We will use half of this spice mix for the ground beef, the other half will go into the tomato sauce.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Tomato paste
- ½ cup white rice
- Prepare the bell peppers and zucchini by deseeding and coring the inside, to make room for the stuffing. Refer to photo in the post.
- Prepare ground beef. Mix the ground beef with half the chopped onions, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of salt, and half of the coriander, cumin, and black pepper spice mix. Without adding extra oil, cook the minced meat in a pan, mixing, until no more redness is seen. Drain meat juices into a container, this will be added to the tomato sauce.
- Precook the rice: cook ½ cup of white rice in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Add precooked rice to the minced meat and mix well.
- Make the tomato sauce. Fry the rest of the finely chopped onion in 1 teaspoon of oil. Add 2 oz (60ml) of tomato paste. Cook. Add the rest the cumin, coriander, black pepper spice mix, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic. Add 1 cup of water, and the drained juice from the minced meat. Cook for 10minutes.
- Stuff the bell peppers and zucchini with the minced meat mix. Arrange upright in a baking pan. Pour the tomato sauce in between the stuffed vegetables. Bake covered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1.5 hours to 2 hours. For the last 10minutes of baking remove cover to roast the vegetables. The meal is done when the bell peppers are soft and roasted. Serve.