Pan Fried Meat, Shaiyah
This is a delicious dish of pan fried meat called Shaiyah. I chose to use lamb for this recipe. In fact, Shaiyah can be made with beef, lamb or goat meat. Shaiyah is a special occasion food, cooked when the family has slaughtered an animal for a celebration. Part of the meat is reserved to make Shaiyah, and this meat includes bony pieces and fatty pieces, the more to add aroma and flavor. The meat is boiled with little water in a covered pan with onions, garlic and herbs. After it has cooked half-way, a small amount of oil is added, and the meat is fried in the pan with frequent stirring to get caramelization, that is, even browning of all sides. This cooking method renders succulent tender pieces of mouth watering pan fried meat.
- 3 lbs Lamb, cubed
- ½ large red onion or 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, cut into long pieces
- Garlic, 4 cloves, peeled and sliced
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- Slice of lemon or lime
- Wash lamb and prepare ingredients above.
- Add lamb, sliced onions, celery ribs, bay leaves, salt, sliced garlic, seasonings, to a cooking pot with 1 cup of water.
- Cook on medium high for 30 minutes so that the water has receded, the meat has cooked but is not overdone.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
- Add cooked lamb.
- Pan fry on high heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Basically you need to constantly stir so the meat caramelizes, browns evenly on all sides. It will start sticking to the pot, add small amounts of water to prevent burning, but you do want it to be somewhat dry and not to take consistency of stew.
- Squeeze juice from half a lemon onto the Shaiyah.
- Serve with extra raw onions, lemon or lime slices, and pepper.