Spinach with peanut butter sauce
Here is an easy way to eat spinach greens the South Sudanese way, cook it into spinach with peanut butter. The western equivalent is creamed spinach, but instead of using cream, South Sudanese would use peanut butter. This is a vegetarian meal that is easy to prepare and nutritious as well. I use bunched spinach greens with stems for this recipe. Within South Sudan Swiss chard is the greens that is frequently used to make this meal. Watch Taste of South Sudan youtube channel video at the end of this post on how to cook spinach with peanut butter.
Ingredients for Spinach with peanut butter
Bunched spinach greens are the main ingredient. I prefer long stem spinach greens to stemless baby spinach, which are too soft. The stems add fiber and structure to the meal. One small onion, one small tomato, peanut butter, salt and water.
How to cook this meal
Bunched spinach are washed and rough chopped. Boil 1/2 cup of water with diced onions on medium high on the stove. Add chopped spinach. Mix and cook for 15 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter. Blend into meal and cook for 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes. Add salt. Serve with your starch of choice, Asida, Kisra, rice or bread.
- 2 bunched spinach with stems. Wash thoroughly and rough chop. You may substitute Swiss chard.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 4 tablespoons Peanut butter. For authentic taste use organic peanut butter without added salt or sugar.
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Optional: beef bullion to add beef flavor, black pepper.
- Bring to a boil ½ cup water, with diced onions in small pot set on medium high.
- Add chopped spinach. Mix. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and mix. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes. Cook for a 5 minutes.
- Salt to taste. Serve.
Watch Video: Spinach with Peanut Butter