Lamb stew with potatoes and carrots
Lamb stew with potatoes and carrots is a popular main dish beloved by many South Sudanese and East African people. Succulent pieces of lamb floating in a spicy thick stew of onions, tomatoes, tomato paste with potatoes and carrots. Beef is frequently used in this recipe. I chose to use lamb as it cooks tender and it has a rich aroma and flavor. This is soul food. Cooking the lamb stew calls for tender attentive care, love, and patience, which flows through to the meal.
2.5 pounds lamb meat cut into cubes, may include bones. Cooking oil, onions, tomato paste, tomatoes, garlic, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, salt, cinnamon stick, cumin, black pepper.
How to cook lamb stew with potatoes and carrots
This is a summary of the cooking process. For full instructions refer to detailed recipe box below. Use a large saucepan. Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Fry onions in oil. Caramelize the onions by continuing to cook for additional 5 minutes. Add lamb. Fry the lamb together with the onions. Drop a cinnamon stick into the pot. Add water, cover, and let cook. Add tomatoes. Cook some more. Smash the tomatoes and onions to make a thick soup. Add tomato paste. Peel potatoes and cut into quarters. Add to meal. Add additional water. Cover and cook. Then add sliced carrots and zucchini, cook some more. At this point your potatoes out to be soft, your meat soft and tender, and the soup nice and thick. Finish by adding spices; cumin, black pepper, coriander, green bell pepper. Serve with rice, Asida, Kisra or bread. Enjoy your meal.
- Lamb meat, 2.5 pounds, cubed into bite size morsels, bones included
- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- potatoes, peeled and quartered, refer to image in post for amount
- carrots, 1 to 2, sliced into cross-sections
- Zuchini or marrow, ½ large one or 1 small one, sliced
- Salt; 2 tsp
- 1 tbs Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp coriander, ½ tsp black pepper, quarter green bell pepper sliced
- Water, 4 cups
- In a large saucepan, set heat on medium high. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Fry diced onions in the oil till they start to turn golden. Add ½ cup of water and cook the onions to get them softer and to caramelize them.
- Add lamb meat, washed and already cut into square pieces. Fry the lamb with the onions and oil.
- Drop 1 stick of cinnamon to the pot. Cover. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes. As it cooks mush the tomatoes and onions using the edge of your lofrega or wooden ladle.
- Add 2 tablespoon of tomato paste and ½ cup of water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters, into the pot. Cover, Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add sliced carrots and zucchini. Now we move to the last ten minutes of the cooking.
- Lower the heat. Add garlic, green bell pepper, coriander, black pepper, cumin. Adjust salt.
- Turn heat off. Leave pot to simmer down on stove for additional 15 minutes.