Ful Medames Sudanese Fava Beans
Ful medames Sudanese fava beans is an all time breakfast dish of Sudan, South Sudan, Egypt and many Mediterranean countries. Sudanese call it Sahan ful (a plate of beans) or ful masri(Egyptian beans). It is a vegetarian protein rich dish garnished with fresh onions, tomatoes, rocket leaves, feta cheese, boiled eggs and sesame oil. Sudanese fava beans are served for breakfast, usually with bread.
We use dry fava beans to make ful medames. The scientific word for fava beans is Vicia faba and according to Wikipedia it is native to North Africa and southwest and south Asia. Fava beans have been cultivated in old world agriculture, and along the Mediterranean around 6000BC. Fava beans are also called broad beans or horse beans. The fresh green beans are cooked into many dishes around the world.
How to cook Ful medames Sudanese fava beans
- Start out by soaking dry fava beans in water for at least 6 hours, overnight.
- Boil the beans in plenty of water on stove for at least 2 hours. Fava beans take time to cook. Add more water if needed, preferably, hot water. The beans are cooked when they crush easily between two fingers, and the skin lifts easily.
3. Scoop cooked beans onto a bowl, include a small amount of broth.
4. Smash beans lightly to crush the beans. A masher or coke glass bottle works great.
5. Add your ingredients for your sahan ful. For Sudanese sahan ful we add:
Diced red onions,
salt, cumin, black pepper, coriander
sesame oil and
rocket leaves(also called arugula).
If available you may also add boiled eggs and tamiya, Sudanese falafel.
Other ingredients often added to fava beans around the Mediterranean countries include: tahini, extra virgin olive oil instead of sesame oil, and lemon juice.
6. Eat your vegetarian protein rich breakfast with bread.
- 400 gms of dry fava beans. Soak in water for 6 hours overnight.
- Tomatoes, diced
- Red onions, diced
- Feta cheese
- Arugula or rocket leaves
- Sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, cumin powder,
- Optional: boiled eggs.
- Soak dry fava beans in water overnight.
- Cook fava beans on stove set on medium for at least 2 hours, until soft.
- Place your fava beans, including some broth, and place on medium bowl.
- Mash the beans lightly using a masher or coke bottle.
- Add salt and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese and arugula or rocket leaves.
- Spread generous amount of sesame oil over the top.
- Serve with bread.